When your AC system suddenly shuts down, or refuses to cool things off as much as you want it to, chances are your first thought isn’t: “Hmm, I wonder what’s causing that?!”
Maybe you’re the exception, but most people simply take to the internet or the nearest phone and call someone like us to get it fixed. But you know what? If you took even just a minute or two to troubleshoot the situation, you might just save yourself a very unnecessary repair bill.
Ready for a little home sleuthing? Okay, here goes:
- Make sure your AC system is getting power. Check the heat exchanger in your basement, to make sure it’s plugged in and getting power. Also, check your fuse box or circuit breaker to make to see if a replacement or adjustment is called for.
- Check AC System Switches. Make sure all switches connected or related to your AC system are in the “on” position.
- Check the condensate drain pan. Not every system has one, but if yours does and the pan is full of water, a sensor may have shut your system off.
- Check your thermostat. Remember when your kids were so cute trying to reach the thermostat settings, but couldn’t? Well, what if they can now, and a little hand turned the thermostat to the “off” position or, worse yet, over to the heating function. Perhaps someone accidentally spiked the temperature setting to a hot and sultry 80+ degrees. It’s at least worth a look.
- Are you getting cool air in only some rooms, or experiencing hot and cold spots? About all you can do here is to make sure that nothing is blocking AC vents or registers. Hot and cold spots may indicated it’s time for a replacement system, but they also could indicate a problem with your ductwork, among other potential causes.
- Check the air filter. If it hasn’t been cleaned or replaced since “goodness knows when,” it could be so clogged with dirt, dust, and other debris that cool air simply can’t get through.
You’d be amazed – we’re way past that point – how things this simple, and this simply remedies, can be the cause of the alleged problem. Still, after you perform each step and you’re still not getting cool (or sufficiently cool) air from your system, THEN contact Budget Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing for prompt, professional service, and service performed to your complete satisfaction.